The project “Music in reverse” offered, through music, new and specific educational didactics for educational continuity, proposing laboratory paths that stimulated curiosity and learning. The aim of the project was to foster the students’ transition from the primary school to the lower secondary school in a practical and innovative way, implementing a continuous connection, not only as to didactics, but also an educational, relational and emotional connection, thus preventing future unease and failure. The project was at the same time a significant aid for the lower secondary school teachers who got to know their future students in a completely new perspective.
The educational path was conducted in all of the school’s spaces, including the students’ regular classrooms, thus allowing to create a single, integrated and functional environment where the children and youngsters had the possibility to carry out their activities with serenity and cheerfulness. In fact, the great hall was used for the theatrical performances; the musical laboratory and the gym were used for the musical performances; the IT laboratory was used for the editing of videos; and the canteen was used for cooking activities. With regard to the artistic aspect, poor and recycled materials were used along with any other thing necessary to make papier-mâché notes and a long enveloping staff.
The skills, goals and training objectives selected by the teacher for this experience are shown below.
The students learned how to:
- play musical pieces on their own and in ensemble in different styles and belonging to different genres and cultures;
- recognize and identify the elements of different timbre-instrumental mixtures;
- use various expressive languages;
- play while reading the score in various modalities;
- use different notation systems functional to the reading, the analysis and the production of musical pieces;
- create musical and multimedia messages, even using IT systems.