“The music of peoples” is the title of a musical education project realized at a primary school. It was a concert that involved all classes, from the first to the fifth. Starting from the narration of a simple story, the students explored musical repertoires belonging to different countries. The project was developed within a wider path, promoted by the Region of Lazio, aimed at preventing and countering bullying and cyberbullying. The educational activity ended with the realization of a final concert/performance.
In order to realize the project, it was necessary to have at disposal:
- a sufficiently large space to be able to move freely, to rehearse with the single classes, and for the final rehearsals and performance with all the participants (about 200 students);
- more or less conventional musical instruments, useful for accompaniments (drums, ukuleles, sonorous tubes, instruments realized with recovery materials);
- audio supports and voice system;
- materials to build scenery elements and handmade musical instruments
The skills, goals and training objectives selected by the teacher for this experience are shown below.
The students learned how to:
- perform timbre, rhythmic and melodic combinations with the voice, body and musical instruments;
- perform, both collectively and individually, vocal pieces belonging to different cultures;
- participate in a coordinated and rational way in collective performances (listen, follow the rhythm, respect each other’s turn).
The students had to:
- integrate the musical experiences with other artistic practices and knowledge;
- develop a cooperative attitude.
The student were enabled to:
- learn how to recognize the meanings of musical material on the basis of their experiences and with regard to different cultural contexts.