The path was dedicated to separate waste collection with the aim to recycle and recover different materials in order to make musical instruments, as one of the most effective systems to reduce the volume of waste to be sent to the dump and help students understand how important it is to respect the environment. Moreover, the educational path also highlighted the importance of listening to the sonorous potential of the most varied materials, making distinctions, recognizing, selecting and identifying sounds and rhythms capable of raising interest, of arousing emotions, of spurring imagination, using the voice to develop musical aspects such as changes in velocity, having fun individually and in group, joining words and sounds, crescendo and diminuendo dynamics.
The work was carried out entirely in class: the space was adjusted each time depending on the activities to be carried out. Apart from desks positioned as desired and a blackboard, the teacher used a good quality sound system, a keyboard, a personal computer, an educational percussions kit enhancing the sharing of views, tables on which to place the materials brought to class, exercise books and boards on which to record the information deemed the most important.
The skills, goals and training objectives selected by the teacher for this experience are shown below.
The students learned how to:
- identify the different sounds produced using different production techniques;
- indicate, in their words, several characteristics of the various sounds (bright, dark, loud, soft);
- notice that sonorous characteristics are connected to the materials of the sonorous objects;
- develop attention, concentration and interest towards the different sonorous materials;
- draw similar or comparable characteristics from different types of musical moments;
- experience recitative games and the gradual increase of the phrase;
- alternate the voice and the sonorous production with body instruments and with instruments made out of recycled materials;
- alternate solos, duos, ensembles, solos-ensembles, the crescendo of a vocal and instrumental group, the diminuendo of a vocal and instrumental group;
- memorize simple texts and their modulation;
- recognize and respect the fundamental rules of a vocal and instrumental group performance.